Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Change


“Vision is not enough, it must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps, we must step up the stairs.”
Vaclav Havel (born 1936);
Poet, Playwright, 1st President Of Czech Republic

So I feel as though I should start by addressing what a few have said in response to my first post.  I know that I used the word "diet" in my first post quite a bit.  I have always looked at Weight Watchers as a "diet" and have learned, as I have gotten into the swing of things, that it truly is a change of lifestyle and not a diet.  I know now that I can never go back to the way I used to be if I want to keep the weight I am losing off of this body.  It is just something that I have to get accustomed to.

As someone who has a lot going on in life (kids, work, gigs, etc.), it could be so easy to eat so poorly, as I have done for years. However, I have made it a point to find good, healthy options, even when I am eating fast food.  For example, today, I sang 2 church services and then had to be back at my church later in the afternoon for a choral concert.  I had to eat out twice; for lunch after church, and then for dinner after the concert.  We decided to go to Boston Market for lunch and I got a 1/4 white meat meal with 2 sides and a Coke Zero.  I ate the chicken without the skin and my side dishes consisted of the fresh steamed vegetables and the garlic and dill new potatoes.  This meal for me was only 14 points, which is really good given how much food I got to eat.  For dinner, we needed something quick. So, we went to McDonald's.  I got the new Chicken and Ranch McWrap (11 points), with 2 packages of Apple slices and an ice water.  Let's compare that with what I would have gotten before I started Weight Watchers.  I would have gotten a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese, a small or medium french fry, and a Large Sweet Tea. (talk about points).  I feel just as satisfied with what I had this evening and don't feel nearly weighed down like I would have with the old meal.

The first week I lost 7.2 lbs.  I was so overjoyed with the way things were going, plus I got a better scale so I think that was part of it.  The second week, I lost 1 lb; not nearly as exciting as the first week. This last weigh in, I was down another 2.4 lbs; better than the last week, but I wanted it to be more.  As I was driving home from lunch this afternoon, I had a thought.  As a teacher, I am constantly telling my voice students that singing is not something where you will get instant gratification. It takes time. The lifestyle change is the same way. I came to the realization that, it's not always going to be as great as my first week was, but if I just stick to it, the weight will come off.  I think I can handle that.  I feel great, and that's something that hasn't been the case for quite some time.

6 comments:

  1. Good for you, Dan. A great perspective and you're off to a great start. Just keep doing the right things and you'll be pleased with the results in the long run -- with some weeks better than others, but the long-term trend will be heading in a good direction. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I look to you for inspiration. I know you did something similar in taking off all of the weight you did. Thanks for the advice and words of support. I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Hey Dan, I love that you're blogging about this - I just started on April 23rd! Are you doing meetings or just online? I'm doing online. I lost 4.2 my first week. I've tried different ways of teaching my food in the past, but I really like the point method. It caters to my cheapskate side, because I like getting things for free, so I eat more fruits and veggies now. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jaime, thanks for reading. I do the online as well. It gives me a bit more freedom and flexibility. I have really enjoyed myself so far. Congrats on your success thus far. It's gotten easier to stick with it as I go. Keep going with it. It really works.

      Delete
  3. you are awesome dan! keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete